Causes of Melasma
The brown patches or the brown-to-gray patches that develop on a person’s face especially on the chin, cheeks, forehead, upper lip and the bridge of the nose is a kind of skin condition that is referred to as melasma. It also appears on the forearms and the neck. Although melasma predominantly affects women, it is known to affect men too, especially those who are taking anti-seizure medicines. It has been observed that people with darker skin tend to be more prone to the occurrence of melasma. Discolorations and dark spots that occur on the skin can be a distressing and difficult problem. The skin derives its color from melanin which is the pigment and this pigment is developed by cells known as melanocytes. Women who are using birth control pills or those who are pregnant, tend to have hormonal imbalances in the body that interfere with the activity of the melanocytes and this produces larger quantities of melanin in certain areas. This occurrence results in melasma.
Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Melasma
There are various home remedies that can help in lightening these patches and even getting rid of them altogether.
- These include crushing mint leaves, extracting their juice and then applying this juice all over one’s face.
- Try making a mixture of grated peeled cucumber and a dash of lime juice. Apply this paste to the affected areas as it will help to cleanse and nourish your skin. Once it is dry wash it off completely with lukewarm or cold water.
- Another excellent home remedy includes making a lotion out of a tablespoon of rosewater, three teaspoons of vinegar and the juice that has been extracted from a large piece of cucumber. Use this lotion on a daily basis for quick results.
- Carrots too are very effective in reducing melasma patches and other minor skin problems as they have a very high Vitamin A content which is essential for healthy skin. Clean a couple of carrots well and then grate them. Place the grated carrot in a small saucepan and then add a cup of water to the pan. The water should just about cover the grated carrot. Heat this on low heat until the water boils and starts to evaporate. Take it off the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely before you mash it into a paste. Next, apply this paste all over your face for 15 to 20 minutes. This needs to be gently rubbed into the skin for optimum effect.
- You can also try peeling and mashing a ripe banana and applying this paste over your face.
- Raw potato juice has healing properties and when applied on the affected areas can help in lightening the condition.
- Orange peel dried and powdered can be mixed with curd and this mixture can be applied on the darkened patches.
- Another effective remedy includes taking the juice of an onion and mixing it with apple cider vinegar. Apply this mixture regularly on your face as it will help to get rid of blemishes.
- Instead of onion juice, one can also use diluted vinegar as vinegar has brightening and whitening properties and is also an excellent skin softener.